Baba ghanoush is a Levantine dish of cooked eggplant mixed with onions, tomatoes, olive oil and various seasonings. Perfect party appetizer!
Baba Ganoush | Eggplant Dip
- 1 medium-large eggplant, any variety, 1 to 1½ pounds
- 2 tablespoons raw tahini
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Paprika or cayenne pepper, as a garnish
- Roast the eggplant. This can be done in a variety of ways, but the flesh should be fully cooked and the skin should be burned and falling off easily. An effective method is to prick the eggplant and place it a few inches under a broiler, turning it as the exposed skin blackens, about every 3-4 minutes. Place a pan underneath to catch the juices, and discard them.
- Scrape off the eggplant skin. It's all right if you miss a few burned bits.
- Finely chop or blend the eggplant flesh with the rest of the ingredients. The consistency should be smooth. Reserve a bit of the olive oil, and drizzle that over the top. Sprinkle with some paprika or cayenne.(I use lemon instead of lime juice.)