This crispy potato recipe can be used for many purposes. My son takes it to school wrapped in Indian flat bread with some lemon pickle. You can eat as hash brown. If you wish you can add some other veggies such as finely chopped onion, bell peppers to make perfect Hash brown for breakfast!
- 2 large potatoes ,peeled and diced
- A pinch of hing - asafoetida - if available
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dhaniya-jeera powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds - Til
- 1 tbsp ground peanut - optional
- 2 or 3 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any oil
Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds.When they splatter add cumin seeds and fennel seeds, green chilli, curry leaves.
Then add hing and tumeric powder. Add diced potato. Season potato with salt so it starts cooking faster. You can cover pan to cook potato faster in the beginning but be sure to cook uncovered later for best crispy potatoes.
Cover and cook on low flame till potatoes are cooked.Stir at regular intervals so that the potatoes dont stick to the pan
Add red chilli powder,and dhaniya jeera powder.
When potatoes are done, add sugar and lemon juice and mix very well.
Sprinkle sesame seeds(Til), and Ground peanut.
Serve hot or cold.
Great for lunch box with wrapped in roti.