Jeera Aloo is a typical vegetarian Indian dish which is often served as a side dish and normally goes well with hot puris, chapatti, roti or dal. Its main ingredients are potatoes, cumin seeds and Indian spices.
Jeera aloo is popular as a bachelors’ dish because it is one of the easiest and fastest Indian recipes and it takes less than 20 minutes to be prepared. It is also broadly consumed during fasting days as it is a strict vegetarian dish.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2¾ cups potato cubes
- 3 tbsp oil
- Red Chili powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, optional
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the potatoes, mix well, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice, salt and cilantro, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a minute or two, again stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.