Dhaba Daal Tadka Fry
- Oil 1 Tablespoon
- Cinnamon To Taste
- Cloves To Taste
- Dry whole red chilies To Taste
- Peppercorn To Taste
- Cumin seeds To Taste
- Lentils 1 Cup (16 tbs) (Any of your choice)
- Onions 1 , finely chopped/pureed
- Tomatoes 2 Large , finely chopped/pureed
- Ginger garlic To Taste , minced or paste
- Turmeric 1/4 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder To Taste
- Coriander cumin powder 1/2 Tablespoon (Dhaniya jeera)
- Salt To Taste
- Sugar To Taste (Optional)
- Lemon slice 2
- Green chili 2
- Oil 1
- Ghee 1 Teaspoon (Clarified butter) (Optional)
- Cumin seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Dried red chili/Green chili 2 (1-2)
- Asafoetida 1 Pinch
- Turmeric powder 1 Pinch
- Red chili powder 1 Pinch (Optional)
- Curry leaves sprig To Taste (a few) (Optional)
- Cilantro sprigs To Taste (for garnish)
Soak the lentils in water for a couple of hours.
Pressure cook the lentils (4-5 whistles)
In a kadhai add oil, to it add whole Cinnamon, cloves, Dry whole red chillis, pepper corn, and cumin seeds. When these sizzle add the onion puree.
Add ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder. Saute it well.
Add the tomatoes (puree or chopped). Cook for 2 min. Add the garam masala and salt. Close the pot and let it cook. Open and stir carefully as the mixture bubbles up.
Add a little sugar, then add the dal with the with the water it was coked in. Close the dal and let it cook.
To prepare the tempering, In a small bowl health the oil and ghee mixture well, nce it is ht add the ther tempering ingredients and let them sizzle (watch the video)
Top the dal with coriander leaves and pour the tadka on top.
Serve it hot with sliced onions, green chili, lemon slices. Best served with Tandori roti, naan or steamed rice.