Make delicious Doodhi Halwa using this simple recipes below. I am posting two videos below. For quick version, you can use pressure cooker and if you do not pressure cooker, you can make in pot as well.
- 5 cups grated bottle gourd (known as Lauki/Doodhi in India) - remove skin and seeds before grating and squeeze out water completely after grating.
- 6 heaped tbsps ghee/ clarified butter measure when solid
- 1 cup dry milk powder
- 1 cup regular milk
- 1 cup sugar or as per your taste
- 5 green cardamom pods , seeds removed and powdered with a tsp of sugar in a mortar and pestle
- 1/2 cup almonds or pistachos , blanched and cut into thin slivers
- A drop of Green food color (Optional)
Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed (preferably non-stick) pan on a medium flame till warm.
Add the grated bottle gourd to this ghee and stir to mix. Cook, stirring frequently till the dudhi turns transparent. Another sign of doneness to watch for is, the separation of the ghee from the bottle gourd.
Add the milk and milk powder in another pot and mix well. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
Now add the cardamom powder and mix to blend.
After cooking milk for about 10-12min, milk mixture will be thicker. Add milk mixture to the cooked dudhi.
Cook till most of the moisture evaporates from the Halwa and it turns to a thick pudding consistency. Stir frequently to prevent scorching and burning. Add sugar at this time and let it cook for couple of minutes only. When done, turn off fire and allow to cool till just warm.
Garnish with almond, pistachos slivers and serve.
Dudhi halwa can be stored into the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.