Handvo with Zucchini
Handvo is basically a spicy cake and it is one of my favorite dish. Traditionally, Handvo is prepared from rice and daals. Rice and daals are ground to very fine and then batter is prepared to cook on Tava with vegetables or without vegetable. My mom usually makes with fresh Tuvar(Pigeon peas) picked from her very own backyard garden and once in a while she would make with Dudhi(bottle gourd), tastes heavenly delicious. Can’t forget that taste even today. But today, I made with Zucchini, they really gave the handvo a wonderful buttery texture!! They’re much better to use than the bottle gourd since I can’t find fresh bottle gourd here in the USA.
- 2 cups Hando flour mix-How to make video
- or coarsly grind 1 cup rice and 1 cup mix of all daals such as tuvar daal, urad daal, chana daal, masoor daal, moong daal. Use all skinless
- 1/4 cup yogurt(dahi)
- 1 cup zucchini or dudhi(bottle gourd)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp sanchal(papad kharo) or 1/2 tsp soda-bi-card
- 1/2 tsp ENO(fruit salt)
- 1 tsp each-ginger and green chili paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp sugar – Optional
- salt to taste
- For tempering:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds(rai)
- A pinch of hing(Asafoeitida)
- curry patta
- Take Handvo flour mix in a big bowl(if using rice and daal then wash and soak the rice and dals together for 4 to 5 hours. Drain and keep aside. Grind to a paste)
- Add all ingredients except Vegetabe, ENO and tempering ingredients and mix everything very well to make kind batter consistancy.
- Allow to ferment overnight or at least 6-8 hrs.
- Next day or after fermentation is complete, add grated zucchini or any vegetable that you like, also at this time, add ENO and mix very well.
- Preheat oven to 400F if baking.
- Pour the prepared batter into baking tray.
- Now prepare tadka(Tempering)-Heat oil into wok or small pan, when oil is done add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds are spluttered completely, turn off the stove and put the wok on side and let the tadka get little warm or cool. When warm enough or cool, add asafoetida and curry patta.
- Pour tadka onto batter.
- Bake for about 45-60mins(If cooking on tava, then heat oil in the big pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds are spluttered completely, add asafoetida and curry patta , and then spread batter evenly only 1″ thick and cook till both sides are brown. Cover the tava with lid to cook nice and even)
- When done serve hot or cold. It taste great anytime.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)