Things You Will Need
1. Steamer - to steam the yuca
1. Using a sharp knife cut the ends of the yuca. Cut each yuca into 3 - 4 manageable chunks.
2. Peel and cut strips as shown in the video. Discard the woody core.
3. Wash the cut strips well in water.
4. You may boil or steam the yuca until they are half cooked.
5. Take 1 lemon, slice 1/2 the lemon and set aside the other half for later use (if desired).
6. Heat about 3 - 4 tbsp oil in a shallow pan, when the oil is hot enough, arrange all the steamed yuca pieces in a single layer in the oil and fry them until golden brown on both sides. (Fry them in small batches if your pan is small)
7. Drain on to a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
8. When the fries are still hot, sprinkle some salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
9. Garnish with sprinkles of freshly chopped cilantro leaves and serve warm with lemon slices and chili sauce.
Steamed yuca pieces can be stored in the refrigerator for months. You can season them as desired and grill, deep fry, shallow fry or even roast them.