1. Wash the bitter gourds well and using a shredder shred them or simply de-seed them and chop finely using the food processor. Once done set aside.
2. Sprinkle some salt on the shredded bitter gourd, mix well and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. After 15 to 20 minutes, using the palms of your hand, squeeze out all the water from the shredded bitter gourd. Put the shredded and squeezed bitter gourd (karela) into a separate bowl.
3. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the shredded bitter gourd (karela). Make sure to keep the temperature on a medium heat throughout the cooking process.
4. Keep stirring occasionally and let it cook slowly.
5. Add the green chili paste, garlic paste, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder and shredded coconut. Stir for a minute.
5. Lastly stir in the brown sugar and let it cook for just a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
6. This bitter gourd chutney may be served as a condiment with a meal instead of pickle.
More water is squeezed out of shredded bitter gourd than from chopped bitter gourd.
The squeezed out water from the bitter gourds can be had as bitter gourd juice. Addition of salt is not required.
The feel of the bitter gourd (karela) chutney when cooled becomes crunchy.