Vegetable Kofta Recipes
Koftas are made with meat or vegetables in India. Variety of vegetables such as carrot, cabbage, bottle gourd(dudhi or lauki), sometimes, vegetables are mixed, can be used to make koftas. There is one more style of making kofta and that is Malai Kofta, made of potato and Indian cheese known as Panner. They can be grilled, fried, steamed, poached, baked or marinated, and may be served with a rich spicy curry or sauce. Here I am showing video of Bottle gourd Koftas, this video can be followed to make koftas with other veggies. And don’t forget to stop by Kofta Curry recipe.
Recipe: Kofta Recipes
- Lauki/Bottlegourd/Doodhi – 4 cups (peeled & shredded)
- Chickpea Flour/Besan – 3/4 cup
- (Mix of all purpose flour and corn flour can be added as well to make kofta soft insie crispy outside
- Onion – 1/4, med.(optioal)
- Ginger and garlic 1/2 tsp each
- Roasted Peanuts or almond – 1/4 cup
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 10 sprigs (finely chopped)
- Curry powder 1tbsp.
- Red Chili Powder(if needed more spicy) – to taste
- 1/4 tsp baking powder(Optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Squeeze out excess water out of the shredded Lauki/Doodhi.
- Add in the Chickpea flour as needed (enough to form balls for the koftas).
- Also add in ginger, garlic Peanuts, Onions, Cilantro, curry powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Heat 11/2 cups of oil in deep shallow fry pan
- Form balls/koftas and drop them in the oil. Fry till golden brown.
- When done take out from oil and drain access oil into towel paper.
- Serve Kofta hot or add into curry.
koftas can be made with different shapes as well. My favorite shape is Oval.
Below is the image of baked Koftas. Add 1/4 tsp of baking powder to the above kofta and spray the koftas with cooking spray. Bake them in the oven @ 350 F till they are brown.