With sweet, fresh corn, available at the local farmers market, I just can’t resist myself at making some fresh corn Chevdo (Spicy Indian style creamy corn chowder)
- Oil 4-6 Tablespoon
- Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Asafoetida 1 Pinch
- Fresh corn grated from cobs 5 Cup (80 tbs)
- Peanuts 2 Tablespoon, crushed
- Salt To Taste
- Ginger paste 1 Teaspoon (As required per taste)
- Garlic paste 1 Teaspoon (As required per taste)
- Green chili paste 1 Teaspoon (As required per taste)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 Teaspoon
- Warm milk 2 Cup (32 tbs) (Regular milk used)
- Cilantro 1 Tablespoon, chopped
1. Take a pan and heat with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds.
2. When the mustard seeds crackle add asafoetida, the shredded corn and the crushed peanuts.
3. Add salt to taste. Also add the ginger, garlic and green chili pastes, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Stir and let it cook for a few minutes.
4. Then add warm milk, cover let it cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Keep stirring frequently to avoid it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook till the oil separates and floats on the top.
5. Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro on top.
6. Garnish with sprinkles of sev and serve immediately.
If thick chevda is preferred then reduce the quantity of milk added.
I prefer to use fresh corn but if you wish, frozen or canned corn can be used. Just grind corn kernels coarse using food processor.
http://www.bhavnaskitchen.com copyright 2012