A marble cake is a cake with a streaked or mottled appearance (like marble) achieved by very lightly blending light and dark batter. This pretty Marble Cake is a combination of vanilla and chocolate batters that are swirled together just before baking to give that wonderful marbled effect.
Recipe: Marble Cake
- 2 Cups plain Flour
- 1 400 gram can Condensed milk
- 2 tbsp sugar or as needed as per your preference(I use sweetened condensed milk, so I do not add much sugar)
- 1/2 cup – 50 gram Butter, softened
- 1 cup Milk or as needed to adjust batter consistancy- batter is bit of thicker than reguar cakes made with egg.
- 1½ tea spoon Baking Soda
- 1½ tea spoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tea spoon Vanilla essence
- 2-3 tbsp Cocoa powder- can be added more or less depending on how dark you want your swirls
- Butter or oil for (greasing)
- Flour (for dusting)
- Mix butter, sugar(if adding) and condensed milk together till smooth. Add milk and whisk. Add Vanilla extract and mix it well. Keep on side.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into condensed milk mixture and make smooth batter. Batter will be little thicker than you make cakes with egg but do not get tempted to add more lequid to adjust consitancy.
- Make 2 equal part from it. Add 3 table spoons of cocoa powder in one part and mix well. If you are a big fan of Coffee, you can make one part with coffee and other with Vanilla.
- Add vanilla essence in the another part(I usually add in all batter).
- In a greased and dusted cake tin(cake baking tray or bread loaf tray) pour some cake bater of chocolate flavor and some of vanilla flavor alternatively. You can make swirls any how you like.
- The trick is not to over-swirl your batter.
- Bake it for 40 – 45 minutes at 200. c/350F at preheated oven. Keep an eye on it though.
- Insert a tooth pick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Let it cool at room temperature on wire rack.
- After cooling you can dust marble cake with icing sugar if desired or decorate your way. Have fun!
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6