1. Soak rice and split green gram (moong dal) in water for a couple of hours.
2. Place a pot on flame and pour oil in it. Add cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Let it splutter.
3. Add soaked green gram and rice. Pour water (double the amount or as needed to get desired consistency) and salt. Cover partially and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame. Check once after 6-7 minutes and add oatmeal. Continue to cook.
4. Stir in green chili paste, garlic paste, and ginger paste.
5. Add spinach in the last few minutes of cooking. Cover and cook until done.
6. Garnish with toasted nuts and serve warm!
Skip rice if preparing for diabetic people.