- Agar agar powder/Unflavored gelatin 1 Tablespoon
- Cold water 1?4 Cup (4 tbs) (milk or cream)
- Glucose 1?2 Cup (8 tbs) (corn or sugar syrup)
- Glycerin 1 Tablespoon (vegetable based)
- Vanilla extract 1 Teaspoon (or any other flavoring)
- Food color 1 Pinch (as needed) (Optional)
- Vegetable shortening/Butter 1 Teaspoon (1/4-1)
- Powdered sugar/Confectioners sugar 2 Pound , sifted (more or less as needed)
- Salt 1 Pinch (Optional)
- TO ROLL FONDANT
- Corn starch/Sugar 1?4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)
1. In a saucepan, mix water and agar powder (for vegan)/gelatine. Place the pan on flame and cook for about 3 minutes or as per package instruction.
2. Add corn syrup/glucose/sugar syrup, glycerine, vanilla, salt, and food color (if using). Mix well.
3. Slowly pour the syrup mixture into the sugar and mix to form dough.
4. Grease your hand with shortening and spread it on dough. Form the dough into a ball. Warp with plastic and let rest at room temperature for 8-24 hours.
5. Remove dough from plastic wrap and knead well for 1-2 minutes.
6. Sprinkle corn starch/ sugar on work surface and roll the fondant.
7. Cut the fondant into desired shape, decorate the cake and serve.
The fondant will remain fresh for 2-3 weeks at room temperature. Do not refrigerator or freeze.
You can also add food color while kneading the dough.