Sauces play vital role in Indo-chinese recipes. Learn basics from Bhavna’s kitchen. Schezwan sauce is very flavorful and easy to make at home. Once you know how to prepare sauce, you will be able to make many exotic dishes such as Schezwan rice, noodles, potatoes, paneer and many more. So let’s learn.
- 5 whole dry red chillies - other type can be used to make it mild.
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch ginger , grated can be used as well - I omit in my sauce and add into recipes I make with schezwan sauce.
- 2 Tablespoon of Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoon of Tomato puree or Ketchup - I use puree since I do not like sweetness of ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white part of green onion or spring onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Sugar to taste - will help to remove pungent flavor
- 1/2 tbsp Corn starch- optional - I add in my recipes.
- Salt as per taste.
Soak red chillis overnight or if you are in hurry and for immediate recipe, Boil garlic and red chillies in 2 cups water, for 5 minutes. Drain water, keep aside. Grind chillies,garlic to a paste.
Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add ginger, chopped garlic, stir. Add white part of green onion,
cilantro(Coriander leaves), stirfry till onions are transparent.
Add paste, stirfry for 2-3 minutes. Dissolve cornflour in 2 tbsp. water. Add all other
ingredients, you can use drained water from chillies if needed.
Bring back to boil, stirring continuously. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, till sauce is thick and
Bottle, cool, refrigerate, use in chinese cooking as required.