Sponge Cake II
I have tried sponge cake with condensed milk earlier to replace egg and this time I thought of using oil and yogurt instead of butter and condensed milk. Cake comes out light & perfect and not heavy like made with condensed milk.
- Maida (cake or plain flour) - 1 and ½ cups (200 gms)
- Plain yogurt - 1 cup (250 ml)
- Granulated Sugar - ¾ cup (165 gms)
- Baking soda - ½ tsp
- Baking powder - 1 and ¼ tsp
- Cooking oil - ½ cup (125 ml)
- Vanilla essence - 1 and ½ tsp
- Milk - 1 tbsp (just for brushing the top)
- Sieve maida twice and keep aside.Cream sugar and curd until sugar completely dissolves. Add baking powder, baking soda to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Leave aside for 5 mins and you can see the bubbles appearing. Now add vanilla essence,cooking oil and mix well.
- Next slowly add maida in portions at a time and blend with wet ingredients. Beat well with a whisk until creamy and thick.Preheat oven to 200 deg C for 10mins. Meanwhile grease a butter paper, lay it in the cake tin or loaf pan and pour the batter to the tin and keep it ready.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 180 deg C and bake it for 30-35 mins or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Just brush the top of the cake with 1 tbsp milk, 10mins before the ending time to get a nice polishing glaze. Allow the cake to cool down for 10mins, then invert and remove the butter paper. Then cut/slice them into pieces and enjoy!