1. In a large bowl add all the ingredients except oil and baking soda. Mix well. Set aside.
2. Prepare the steamer by filling water at the bottom and placing the steam basket.
3. To the bowl with the ingredients mixture add the baking powder and sprinkle water little by little and mix well till it forms a soft dough. Wet the hands with water and take small portions of the mixture and place it in the steam basket.
4. Steam it for around 20 minutes. Remove from the steamer and let it sit till it can be handles. Slice it into large pieces.
5. In a frying pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter, followed by sesame seeds. Cover and let them splutter. Add a pinch of asafoetida and sauté for 2 seconds. Add the sliced steamed muthia and sauté for a few minutes or till it absorbs the tempering and is covered by the sesame seeds.
6. In a serving plate, serve the muthia as snacks.