Appetizers are the highlight of parties and these paneer stuffed Bread Rolls are perfect for any party. You can stuff with variety of fillings such as veggies, cheese, lentils and more..I love them with tea or coffee even. Perfect evening snack with tea! I use homemade paneer but you can certainly use ready store bought paneer.
Now, there are few options for making these rolls. You can use ready bread slices or if you are baking bread from scratch, you can roll out the dough, stuff, and make cylinder roll. Bake and serve. I usually use ready bread slices to save time.
I love fried texture of these roll but for healthier version, they can be baked.
Red chili powder 1 Teaspoon (Adjust according to your taste)
Coriander and cumin powder 1 Teaspoon
Salt To Taste
Garam masala/Chaat masala 1 Teaspoon (Optional)
Brown sugar 1 Teaspoon (Optional)
Crumbled paneer 1 Cup (16 tbs)
REST OF THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE PANEER STUFFED BREAD ROLLS
Vegetable oil 1 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 Teaspoon
Boiled potato 1 Medium, mashed
White bread slices/Brown bread slices 8 Medium, edges discarded
Water 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (To pat on the bread slices)
Cooking oil 1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
To prepare the fresh paneer:
1. In a heavy bottom pot, take 3 cups of milk, let it come to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, dilute 4 tablespoons of lime juice with 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
3. When the milk comes to a boil, add the diluted lime juice, while stirring continuously. The milk curdles and the paneer separates from the whey.
4. Turn off the stove and stop stirring. Allow the curdled milk to rest till the paneer floats on the top and whey at the bottom of the pot.
5. Drain the paneer through a cheesecloth separate the whey from the paneer. Wrap it up in the cheese cloth and keep it to drain out all the liquid from it. Let it rest for an hour with a weight placed on top for quicker results.
To prepare the paneer stuffing:
6. Into a large mixing bowl, add thinly sliced onions, finely chopped cilantro, tomatoes, sour cream, ginger, garlic and green chili paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, salt, garam masala and brown sugar (optional).
7. Add the crumbled paneer to the prepared mixture and mix well to combine all the ingredients well. Cover the mixture and let it marinate for about 2 to 3 hours.
8. Heat a pan with a little oil, add cumin seeds. Add the marinated paneer mixture and one boiled and mashed potato (ready-to-use potato flakes may also be used).
9. Saute for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
To prepare the bread rolls:
10. Take each bread slice (edges discarded), pat a little water on each of them, place some paneer mixture in the center and roll the bread slices lengthwise.
11. In a pan heated with some oil, deep fry the rolls until golden brown. Drain into a paper towel to remove excess oil.
12. Serve warm with any chutney of your choice.
Bread rolls may be made with potato filling as well.
An alternate option is to bake the stuffed bread rolls (greased with some butter) in a preheated oven at 350 F until golden brown.