Veggie puffs are nothing but puff pastry filled with different type of fillings. Use store bought puff pastry to save time or make in your own home kitchen. It’s really fun to make these puff pies since you can change stuffing and shapes as well.
Recipe: Veggie Puff
- 1 – 1 lb box Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets
- 2 large onions sliced
- 3 potatoes-peeled & cut in cubes
- 1 / 2 cup green peas
- 1 / 4 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 /2 tsp chili powder
- 1/ 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the jeera .When it crackles , add the onions and some salt and fry 2 mins.
- Add the potatoes and peas, salt ,chili,coriander and turmeric powder.
- Mix well, cover and let it cook for about 20 mins on medium heat (till vegetables are cooked and soft)
- Turn off heat.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves and mash the vegetables coarsely with a spoon or masher.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets as per package instructions.
- The package come with 2 sheets and are long with 3 sections. Unfold them. Make 9 same size squares from 1 sheet.
- Scoop vegetable mixture and place in the middle section over the the pastry sheet.
- Fold the sheet over the filling and make triangle shape. spread water on edges to seal them. Press and then use fork to again seal them nicely, so it does not open when baking.
- Repeat with the 2nd puff pastry. Now poke all puffs with fork to get some air in during baking processs.
- Place the puffs on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 mins – till golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutneys.
Puff Pastry sheets can be found in the frozen food section .
If making them before hand – reheat them in the oven at 250 F for about 5 mins.Do not microwave –it may get soggy and lose the delicious crunch!
Use other vegetables like grated carrots, thinly cut green beans or go crazy with filling choices.
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4