Barley and Bean Soup
- Barley cereal 1/2 Cup (8 tbs)
- Beans/Canned beans 2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs), boiled
- Vegetables 500 Gram , chopped (Onions, tomatoes, carrot, mushrooms and spinach can be used)
- Crushed tomato 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)
- Vegetable stock 3 Cup (48 tbs)
- Garlic 1 Tablespoon , minced
- Olive oil 1 Tablespoon
- Crushed red pepper 1/2 Teaspoon
- Italian seasoning 1/2 Teaspoon , dry
- Salt To Taste
- Sugar To Taste (Optional)
- Water 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- 1. In a pot boil water. Into the boiling water add salt and add in the barley. Give it a stir. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. For the first 5 minutes leave the lid half open, after 5 minutes cover it completely and let it cook.
- 2. Meanwhile chop vegetables of your choice such as onions, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and spinach.
- 3. In a pot heat olive oil, add the garlic and onions. Cook the onions till they turn golden brown in color and then add the carrots, stir for a minute and add the mushrooms. Stir for another minute.
- 4. Add the tomatoes and stir. Cook closed for a while, then add salt, crushed pepper, dry Italian seasoning and the crushed tomatoes. Cook with the lid half covered for a few minutes.
- 5. Add the vegetable stock and stir. Also add the beans, cooked barley and the chopped spinach. Cook half covered.
- 6. Once done turn off the heat and add the sugar, which helps to balance the flavors.
- 7. Serve warm.
- If you do not have vegetable stock you can use water instead and puree a small portion of the cooked vegetables and add it to the simmering broth to thicken it slightly.