This soup is perfect on very cold, rainy or snowy day. I have posted video for quick recipe and for authentic recipe, follow written instruction.
Hot and sour soup is a variety of soups from several Asian culinary traditions. In all cases, the soup contains ingredients to make it both spicy and sour.
In India, this soup is made with red and green chillies, ginger, carrots, snow peas, tofu, soy sauce, rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar. It is viewed in India as being a Chinese soup.
Soup preparation may use chicken or pork broth, or may be meat-free. Common key ingredients in the American Chinese version include bamboo shoots, toasted sesame oil, wood ear, cloud ear fungus, day lily buds, vinegar, egg, corn starch, and white pepper. Other ingredients include button mushrooms and small slices of tofu skin. It is comparatively thicker than the Chinese cuisine versions due to the addition of cornstarch. This soup is usually considered a healthy option at most Chinese establishments and, other than being high in sodium, is a very healthy soup overall.
- 1 tbsp Chili Sauce or adjust to your taste
- 2-3 tbsp plum Sauce or sweet sour sauce (you can add as much or little as you want)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (optional)
- 11/2 tbsp Corn Flour / Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper) Chopped
- 2 tbsp Spring Onions Chopped
- 2 tbsp Carrots Chopped
- 1/4 cup Chopped Cabbage
- ¼ cup cubed cut mushrooms
- ¼ cup cubed cut soft tofu
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- A pinch ajinomoto
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups Water or vegetable stock
- For garnishing:
- Spring onion or chives or cilantro or chopped green chili.
- Mix 4 cups of water/vegetable stock/broath, chili sauce, plum sauce, peanut butter, soya sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper powder and ajinomoto and bring to boil.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables except soft tofu .
- Cook for a minute on a medium heat. Dissolve corn starch in 1/2 cup water and add to the soup stirring constantly till it becomes thick.
- Cook for a minute, add tofu. Garnish with Spring onion or chives or cilantro or chopped green chili. Serve hot .