Beat the heat with this super cooling Ice Cream made with rose jam preserve called Gulkand with Kaju (Cashew).
Gulkand or rose petal jam is a sweet Indian delicacy. It is easy to prepare and is listed under the best Ayurvedic medicines for their enormous health benefits. Dr. Shilpa Mittal – Nutritionist, Diet Consultant and Founder of Nutrilife Health Management, Mumbai shares a list on how this traditional mouth freshener can help to boost your health.
• Gulkand has cooling properties, thus it is beneficial in alleviating all heat related problems like tiredness, lethargy, itching, aches and pains. It also helps in reducing burning sensations in the soles and palms.
• Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and a very good rejuvenator.
• Consuming 1 – 2 teaspoons of gulkand helps to reduce acidity and stomach heat. It also helps in treating ulcers and prevents swelling in the intestine.
• Gulkand helps to treat mouth ulcers, strengthens teeth and gums.
• It can be used to treat dysmenorrhoea and is effective in relieving menstrual pain. It is also helpful in treating excessive white discharge problem.
As usual, I first prepare basic ice cream using just two ingredients, heavy whipping cream and condensed milk(other sweetener like agave nectar, honey or your choice of sweetener can be used) but you can use your favorite recipe to prepare the base of plain ice cream. You can watch the video below how easily one can make variety of flavors of Ice creams with ease.
- 2 cups heavy Whipping Cream chilled
- 1 cup full fat Milk
- 1/2 cup Condensed milk
- 5-6 tbsp Gulkand/Rose petal jam
- few drops of rose essence optional
- 1/2 cup Broken Cashew Pieces or other nuts can be used and leave out nuts if allergic to nuts
Into the pot, bring 1/2 cup of full fat milk to boil and add broken cashew pieces. Let it cool and cashew will get softened.
Reserve 2 tbsp of Gulkand and grind 1/4 cup Gulkand with remaining 1/2 cup full cream milk to a smooth puree.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream to the chilled bowl or frozen container and whisk it with the electric whisker until it forms soft peaks.
- Add condensed milk, rose essence(if using),ground gulkand puree, soaked cashew milk and reserved gulkand to the whipped cream and gently fold it until the mixture is uniform.You can even use the electric whisker but I prefer to fold to maintain the creaminess of ice cream.You can taste the mixture at this point and add more condensed milk if you need.
- Cover frozen container with lid tightly and freeze it for 7-8 hours until it is set.
- Scoop it and serve.
If desired, pink food color can be added to this recipe to get the rose pink color.