Variayali aka Sauf Ice cream features a distinctive licorice-like flavor and I have been loving to prepare ice creams with exotic flavors.
There are two ways the flavor of fennel can be infused in this recipe.
The first way is to boil cream with fennel, grind, strain and use it to make ice cream, little longer process but gives great smooth texture to the ice cream. Another way is to roast fennel seeds lightly, grind to a powder form, mix in ice cream ingredients. I have tried both ways and the ice cream taste great.
As usual, I first prepare basic ice cream using just two ingredients, heavy whipping cream and condensed milk(other sweetener like agave nectar, honey or your choice of sweetener can be used) but you can use your favorite recipe to prepare the base of plain ice cream. You can watch the video below how easily one can make variety of flavors of Ice creams with ease.
So you might have figured out the recipe of Variyali Ice Cream after watching the video. Exactly, all I do is prepare basic ice cream, then add ground variayali (Fennel Seeds) in it, mix and freeze! If desired, a drop of pistachio green food color can be added but I don’t find it necessary.
- Cream 2 Cups 32 tbs
- Canned condensed milk 400 Gram 1 can
- 1 tbsp Green Fennel Seeds
- In a frozen container, whip cream until stiffness peaks.
- Add condensed milk and continue to whip.
- Now add variayali (fennel seedpowder, mix well.
- Cover the container with a lid and pop into freezer for 4-6 hours.
- Enjoy when the ice cream is set.