Coconut chutney is a South Indian chutney-side-dish and condiment, a common in South Indian states. The condiment is made with coconut pulp ground with other ingredients such as tamarind and green chillies. It is served with Idli, Dosai and vadai. In this post, I am going to share this delicious chutney with some variations. You might have seen coconut chutneys in few colors like white, orange and green. Depending on my mood, I prepare the recipe. If I have good amount of fresh coconut, I would prepare all three and freeze for later use. Before, I share some variations, let’s learn basic chutney. And don’t forget to browse through the end for the other tricks and tips to make it with red, green color.
To prepare the basic coconut chutney, usually following ingredients are used:
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Fried gram dal (pottukadalai) – 2 tblsp
Green chillies – 2
Salt & Water – As needed
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 3/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1-1/2 cups Coconut , roughly chopped or Frozen thawed can be used
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal (Bengal Gram) Or Urad Dal (Black Gram) can be used
- 1-2 Green Chilli , cut roughly
- 1/2 Inch piece of ginger
- Few Sprigs of Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Few sprigs of Curry Leaves
- Into the medium pan, heat oil.
- Add Chana Dal and roast slightly, add ginger, green chili coconut, salt and roast till aroma release, do not let it brown or burnt.
- Let the mixture cool and grind everything together along with Hara Dhaniya.
- Heat oil for tempering and add the ingredients for tempering in the order given
- When the mustard start to pop, dunk the content into the prepared chutney and mix well
- Serve South Indian coconut chutney with dosa, idli, adai, vada, uthappam, pakoda, etc.
Now, if you wish to make green coconut chutney, add some green leafy vegetables/herbs like Mint(Pudina), Cilantro(Hara Dhaniya) or the combination of greens with green chilis.
To prepare orange or reddish color, add 3-4 dry red chilis, deseeded (it is important to remove the seeds to achieve color only and to keep chutney mild), alternatively, add fresh red bell pepper or even tomato. The recipe remains the same, just change few ingredients to get the desired results.