This basic curry gravy can be used for all kinds of curry recipe and even can be used for other cuisine recipes as a multi purpose masala curried sauce.
- 3 big tomatoes (Readymade crushed tomato can be used)
- 1 big onion diced
- 2-3 clovies garlic
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon peparika powder
- nutmeg powder just to taste
- saffron powder just to taste dissolve in 1 tbsp water
- cardamon powder just to taste
- cinnamon powder just to taste
- aamchoor powder just to taste
- cumin powder just to taste
- coriander powder just to taste
- I simply add 1 tbsp Garam Masala (If you don't have all this powder ready, mix all whole spices together (if you wish you can dry roast them first for great flavor and aroma) and grind them in the grinder)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt according to your test but deffinitely need 1 teaspoon.
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter. If using salted add less salt
- Water as needed
Boil tomatoes with enough water for about 10-15 min. Take off the skin and make puree. Readymade crushed tomato can be used to save some time. Now heat just 1 tbsp out of 2 tbspoil in the pan and saute the onion till golden brown. When done make paste of cooked onion, ginger and garlic. Again use the same pan and pour another 1tbsp of oil at this time and add bay leaves. Add onion paste, tomato puree, all spice powders, salt, sugar and cook about another 5 min. Add water if needed. Add butter and just cook till the butter is incorporated in gravy. You will get nice smooth gravy.
You can use this gravy to many dishes. If you going to use heavy cream, add heavy cream at last before serving. this gravy can be freezed and use them later to make many dishes such as Paneer Masala, Paneer Bhurji, Vegetable kormaand many more recipes.
I use this gravy in almost all punjabi curries. I add peas, paneer and potato to just make simple punjabi curry.
You can add red food color little bit if you wish.
Below are the dishes prepare with gravy. I added cream to Paneer Makhani and yogurt to Paneer Tikka gravy.