February 7 is National Fettuccine Alfredo Day.
Who would not want to celebrate at least once a year a wonderful plate of ribbon pasta cooked with butter and cheese? We love to make it from scratch. Make fresh pasta, sauce and enjoy entirely homemade, satisfying meal with family! So today I would like to share my way of preparing this whole plate.
First step is to prepare the fresh Pasta. Don’t get panic, you do not need a machine to prepare fresh pasta at home. Make sure your dough is not soft or else Pasta melts while boiling.
Fettuccine is a flat thick noodle made of flour and egg.(literally meaning “little ribbons” in Italian). I make without egg though.
- Semolina 1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
- Chickpea flour 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- Salt 1/8 Teaspoon
- Extra virgin olive oil 1 Tablespoon
- Water 4 Tablespoon (3 - 4 Tablespoons)
- Extra virgin olive oil 1/2 Tablespoon , divided (For greasing)
- Salt 1 Tablespoon (Boiled in salt water)
- Over a wooden surface place semolina, chickpea flour and salt. Mix with a fork.
- Make a well in the center and add in the extra virgin oil and 1 tbsp. of water mix with fork. Then knead with the dough using water whenever required to make a elastic dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough to make a thin sheet and slice with a knife as shown in the video.
- In a saucepan, boil water and add in the salt, followed by the pasta. Cook until done.
- Strain the pasta and place in a serving plate.
- Top the pasta with your choice of sauce and serve.
The original recipe for Fettuccine “Alfredo” is pasta made from fettucine noodles tossed with one part parmesan cheese and 3 parts butter. Alfredo sauce is the emulsified liquids that form the smooth and rich coating on the pasta. I have my own way of preparing Alfredo Sauce.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic , minced
- Few Leaves of Basil , Chopped very fine
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1 cup Cheese , I use White Cheddar
- Into the sauce pan, heat up Butter and Oil.
- Add Garlic and Basil. Give it a quick stir.
- Add flour and cook slightly, about a minute.
- Add cream and cheese. Cook till cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth and creamy. I usually do not add salt but if desired, you can.
- Season with black pepper if desired.
And here is the video to prepare the whole dish with fun.