You may have question? Is Kadhi Keto-friendly? To find out, let’s learn few elements of Kadhi. Kadhi or karhi is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. It consists of a thick gravy based on chickpea flour(Besan), and may contains vegetable fritters called pakoras in some region, to which dahi (yogurt) is added to give it little sour taste. It is often eaten with boiled rice or roti.
Now, Keto requires high fat & fiber, moderate protein and low carb. So for the vegetarians, dairy is the perfect solution.
Gujarati Kadhi is made with mainly yogurt and chickpea flour is added to thicken the Kadhi and to prevent curdling while boiling it.
Lot of Keto followers have been asking me to share vegetarian Keto recipes and Kadhi came to mind as it contains all the keto-friendly ingredients.
To thicken the Kadhi, instead of chickpea flour, xanthum gum or other bean flour can be added. And to add more nutrition, vegetables like spinach can be added. I also make Okra(Bhindi) Kadhi during winter.
For high protein, prepare kadhi with greek yogurt or thick full fat yogurt.
- 1 ½ cup Yogurt or sour curd or 500 ml sour butter milk
- 750 ml water 3 to 3.5 cups
- ¼ cup gram flour / besan Chickpea Flour
- 2 inch ginger
- 3 – 4 green chili or according to taste
- Salt according to taste apprix. 1 ½ tsp
- ¼ cup coriander leaves fine chopped
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chili
- 2 – 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- Pinch of asafetida if available
- 5 -6 fenugreek seeds optional
- Few sprigs of Curry leaves
- In a pot add curd or butter milk, gram flour or besan and water. If you are using butter milk then decrease the quantity of water.
- Blend properly using hand blender.
- Make a paste of green chilies and ginger.
- Keep pot on medium flame. Add chili-ginger paste.
- Add salt, half of curry leaves and Coriander leaves.
- When kadhi starts to get boil keep on simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Kadhi needs to be stirred continuously to avoid curdling.
- Mean while on another gas for tadka in a small pan or kadai add ghee.
- Add whole spices and dry red chili.
- When whole spices start to release aroma, add Mustard seeds and wait till starts spluttering.
- Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds starts get splutter add fenugreek seeds.
- Then add asafatedia and curry leaves.
- Turn off flame and immediately add tadka into kadhi.
- Keep kadhi on simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot gujarati kadhi with Masala Quinoa or serve as a soup.
Just to give you an idea, below is the video. But follow the ingredients in written recipe for Keto.