3 hrs 15 mins
FOR THE CRUST
- Graham cracker crumbs 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- Sugar 2 Tablespoon
- Butter/Margarine 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
FOR THE FILLING
- Water 1/2 Cup (8 tbs)
- Agar powder 1 1/2 Tablespoon (Gelatin Substitute)
- Corn starch 1 Tablespoon
- Fresh lemon juice 1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
- Granulated sugar 1/2 Cup (8 tbs)
- Milk/Cream 1/8 Cup (2 tbs)
- Lemon zest 1/2 Tablespoon
- Turmeric/Yellow food coloring 1/8 Teaspoon
- Powdered sugar To Taste (For Garnish) (Optional)
- In a big bowl add in the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix it with your hand.
- Take a baking tray lined with parchment paper, add the crust mixture to it. Spread it evenly.
- There are two ways to use this crust, either bake it at 350 degrees F for 8-10 min (till they turn golden brown), or compact the crust really well using ant too (glass tumbler used here) and refrigerate for 30 minutes and the crust would settle down.
- For the filling, first mix the corn starch into the lemon juice (fresh), mix it well.
- In another pan, Mix the water and agar powder, mix it well and bring it to a boil. Cook on medium to low heat for 2-3 min till it thickens (happens quickly – do not leave unattended).
- When the mi is thick add the sugar and cook till sugar dissolves (1-2 min).
- To this add the starch and lemon juice mix, with lemon zest and turmeric or food color. Then add the milk/cream.
- Once done, before it settles, pour it over the crust. Let the mixture cool down then refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or till the lemon mixture sets.
- Lift the whole recipe out using parchment paper, dust with powdered sugar, cut and serve!
Recipe Notes2 hours of refrigeration is required before serving