Not having a Tandoor (Indian Clay Oven) at home made me experiment this recipe..Its a dish that reminds the flavor of Paneer cooked in a Tandoor!!! As my son loves to eat Paneer curries with Roti or naan,these days Paneer appears in my kitchen more frequently.
- Cubed paneer 2 Cup (32 tbs)
- Yogurt 3 Tablespoon (2 - 3 tablespoons)
- Tomato paste 3 Tablespoon , divided (2 - 3 tablespoons)
- Kasoori methi 1 1/2 Teaspoon , finely chopped (Optional)
- Chat masala 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
- Cumin 1/2 Teaspoon
- Carrom seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
- Onion 1 Large , finely chopped
- Ginger paste 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green chili paste 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 Teaspoon , divided
- Red chili powder 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 Teaspoon
- Garam masala 1 Pinch
- Tomato puree 1 Cup (16 tbs) (more or less to prepare dry gravy)
- Fresh cream 4 Tablespoon (3 - 4 tablespoons)
- Salt To Taste
- Coriander leaves 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- Oil 1 1/2 Tablespoon , divided
- Chopped bell pepper 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (red and green)
- Ghee 1/2 Tablespoon
For the marinade - In a medium bowl, add in yogurt, salt, red chili powder, 1 pinch turmeric powder, tandoor masala, chat masala, fenugreek leaves and tomato paste. Stir well with a spatula.
Add in paneer and coat well; cover with a lid and let it marinade for 30 – 60 minutes.
For the gravy - In a pan heat oil, add in cumin seeds and let it crackle, followed by the carom seeds.
Stir in the remaining turmeric powder, followed by the onion and cook for a few seconds.
Season with salt, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chili paste. Stir well.
Add in the bell pepper and let it cook for a minute.
Add in the tomato puree and paste and stir well, pour some water if needed. Season with garam masala and cook for a few minutes and set aside.
For the tawa paneer – In a flat pan, heat the oil and ghee on medium heat; turn the heat to low and place the paneer. Cook until golden brown from all sides.
Add paneer back to the gravy and turn on the stove. Stir well and add the cream.
Garnish with coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Serve with roti and enjoy.
Tawa Paneer can be made dry or with gravy just like Paneer Tikka.