Dal fry is the delicacy of North india. Dal fry is lentils cooked in Ghee(due to healthy diet, mostly oil is used these days) with aromatic spices. Its rich & comforting. Its a similar to Tadka Dal. Dal is prepared frequently as its good source of protein. Complete menu includes, one fresh vegetable subji, dal, roti, rice, raita, and some Indian condiments such as papad or papadum and pickes(achar). My favorite menu is Jeera rice, dal fry and roti.
- Toor Daal (Split pigeon peas)- 1/3rd of a cup
- Channa Daal (Split garbanzo beans)- 1/4th of a cup
- Water – 2 cups or just as needed
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp or use Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 med. , finely chopped
- Tomato- 1 med. , finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4th tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp (if you wish)
- Salt – to taste
- For Tadka (Seasoning):
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp or use oil
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Garlic – 2 cloves , finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp , grated
- Green chili - 1tsp or as per your taste , paste or grated
- Red whole Chili – to taste , slit
- Lime Juice – to taste
- Cilantro – Garnish , finely chopped
Combine all the daals, wash well and soak for 20-30 minutes.
Drain out the water and put it on the side.
In the pressure cooker pot, heat Oil or ghee on medium flame.
Once the Oil or ghee is hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
Add in Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida,Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Green Chilis, Garlic, Ginger and cook for a few minutes.
Now add in the Onions and a little Salt and cook the onions till they turn translucent.
Add tomato and cook again till tomatoes are tender.
Once done, add in the dry powders – Cumin, Red Chili, Coriander and Garam Masala.
Add Water and cover and pressure cook on medium heat and allow it to whistle 4-5 times or till you smell like cooked dal.
(you can stir in the Daal, check Salt and Water consistency before closing pressure cooker).
Turn off the stove after hearing whistles and allow it to cool down.
Open the pressure cooker when it cools down, you have to let the all hot air out in order to open the pressure cooker so sometimes, I use knife and hold the whislte to take out all the air. but it is good to let it cool down naturally so that it cookes nice and even.
Cooking time may vary. I use pressure cooker so it is quick.