This Kadhi is one of my favorite. Many healthy ingredients go into this Kadhi such as fresh turmeri roots, ginger root, mango ginger root and so on. This hot yogurt soup is best during cold. It can be served with Plain rice, Khichdi and many other rice dishes. Below, you will find recipe about how to make and store(freeze) Kadhi masala.
Recipe: How to make and store Kadhi Masala for everyday use
- 1 lb Ginger(Adrak)
- 1/2 lb Mango ginger(Amba Haldi)
- 1/4 lb Turemeric root(Pili haldi)
- *If you can’t find mango ginger and fresh turmeric, you can increase amount of ginger root.
- 1/4 lb Green chillis or as per your taste
- 10 Kadhi patta(Limbdo)
- Salt to taste – uesed as preservative as well.
- Sometimes, fresh pigeon(tuvar dana) is also added in this masala paste.
- Peel, wash all roots. Take out stem of chilli, wash kahdi patta and tear apart leaves. Blend above all ingredients together to paste. I keep small amount of this paste in my referigerator for my everyday use and rest I freeze for later use.
Diet type: Vegetarian
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)
- 11/2 cup fresh Yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp . sour cream (Optional but give smooth texture to Kadhi)
- 1 tsp fresh mango ginger root (Amba Haldi)- if available
- 1/4 tsp Yellow turmeri rootc (Pili haldi)-if available
- 1 tsp ginger paste- if you can't find other listed roots above , you can increase ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp . chili paste
- 1 tbsp gram flour (besan)- also known as chickpea flour
- sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- water as required
- 2-3 whole dry red chili
- 2-3 tbsp oil or Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreeek seeds
- For Garnishing:
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- 4-5 curry patta
- In a heat proof pot, blend yogurt, sour cream, gram flour or chickpea flour (besan), 1/2 cup of water with electric hand blender or regular blander or whisk. Make very smooth puree.. When done check consistancy of Kadhi. If too thick, add more water, Prepare consistancy according to your preference. Now add ginger, haldis, chili, curry patta, salt, sugar and mix well. Now heat stove on medium heat and boil the Kadhi. Meanwhile prepare seasoning. For seasoning, heat oil or ghee in another very small pot. When oil is done, add whole red chili and let it become brown black. When chili is done, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. When mustard all popped up, turn of the stover and keep sasoning pot aside. Now keep stiring Kadhi as much as possible. When Kadhi about to come to the boil, pour prepared seasoning in Kadhi pot. Garnish cilantro. Kadhi is done. Serve hot with rice, roti or drink itself in the cold weather.