Mathiya or Mathia is specialty of Gujarat made during Diwali. Ladies of Village get together and make many spcial Diwali snacks. I just love Diwali festival since it brings lot of happiness. I call it Gluten free and vegan perfect snack. Well, gluten can be hiding in many ingredients but this snack is prepared from lentil flour so I put in gluten free category but you always have to make sure on your side. Ready Mathia flour is available these days at most Indian grocers specially during Diwali and urad atta is available through out year.
- Muth or mathia Dal Flour- 100 gm (1cup) - It is brown lentil looks like green gram (Moong)
- Urad Dal Flour- 100 gm
- Besan- 2tbsp
- 11/2 tsp Ghee - Clarified Butter
- Papad Khar/ Soda Khar– 2 tsp
- Ajwain– 1 tsp
- White chilli Powder– 1tsp if available otherwise add red chilli powder
- 11/2 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Sugar
- Water as needed - I used about 1/2 cup
- Oil for frying
- Sieve flours with Chilli powder. To this add one tsp of ghee.
- Warm up water. Add Papad Khar, salt, sugar, ajwayan in it. The papar Khar is used to make the mathia crispy and is kind of soda.
- Add Water to knead the dough.
- The dough then can be pounded either with a stone mortar or with your fist for 20 minutes.
- The dough is needs to be stretched and make small balls out of it.
- The balls need to be rolled in round shape and in the size of puris.
- Then these mathias need to be deep fried till they turn golden brown. Once they are fried, red chilly powder is sprinkled on it and is kept in an air tight continer for freshness.
If you can get help when you make this recipe, great for you...if not, it's not impossilbe alone even.