Where I grew up, Surat, Gujarat, this sweet vermicelli is served during the festival of Holi in the evening after Holi rituals are performed. The complete Thali Meal contains Gujarati Daal, Bhinda(Okra) shaak, Roti, Rice, Mithi Sev and condiments.
Every year, as Holi approaches, all the women in village start making sev from wheat flour. The method of preparing this noodles is very unique and I am sure I won’t be able to explain well. And with the time and technology, we have adopted new methods anyway.
I usually get the sev shipped all the way from Indian to the USA. Or when I make trip to Indian, I bring some with me and keep in the freezer to preserve it well. Now, Is it really necessary to have this special sev? I would say no, not anymore as we get variety of wheat noodles here in the market as well. And these days, most Indian grocers carry wheat vermicelli.
You can learn the complete thali from the video below.
- 1 cup Vermicelli , Genhu ke atte ki sev
- 2 tbsp . ghee/ clarifying butter
- 1/2 cup sugar or more as per your taste
- 1 +1/4 cup water
- 3 tsp . Mix nuts (cashews, almonds, raisins, pistachios)
- 1 tsp . cardamom powder , if desired
- For the flavor , few drops of rose essence can be added as well but I make it simple
- Heat the ghee in the pan on low to medium flame and fry the vermicelli. about 3-5 minutes.
- Now after little golden color, add hot water into the pan and cook well until water becomes evaporated. Pot can be covered half open to speed up the cooking process.
- Now add sugar (according to your taste) and cardamom powder or any flavor choices when vermicelli is cooked well, it will shine and ghee will separate as well. It takes about 6-8 minutes.
- switch off the flame. Garnish with mix nuts and serve hot.