Dal makhani or dal makhni (pronounced daal makh-nee, “buttery lentils”) is a popular dish from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentil (urad), red kidney beans (rajma), butter and cream. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream, however, it can also be prepared with yogurt, milk or no dairy.
The traditional preparation of dal makhani involves a series of time-consuming procedures, which can take up to 24 hours to complete. With the availability of modern cooking equipment, namely electric pressure cookers, the preparation time of the dish has reduced significantly to 2–3 hours. I started using my electric pressure cooker to prepare Dal Makhani in just one single pot. And to reduce cooking time almost 30-40%, I prefer to soak beans, legumes and lentils. You can follow the recipe below to prepare traditional way. But if you want to prepare in pressure cooker, watch my video.
- 1 cup whole urad dal (black lentils)
- 1/4 cup rajma (red kidney beans)-Ready canned kidney beans can be used
- to save some time.
- 1/4 cup channa dal (Bengal gram dal, also Ok to use chickpeas/garbanzo beans)
- 11/2 tsp ginger , peeled
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies
- salt to taste
- for tadka
- 11/2 tbsp ghee or Makhan (butter)
- 1 tspn cumin
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 cup tomato paste or puree
- Chopped Onions : 2 medium -Optional-if you don't add onion , still
- it will taste great. I just add onion paste or powder if I have.
- to finish
- 1/4 cup butter or Makhan (For vegan, you can use soy butter)
- 1/4 cup cream (For vegan, use Soy cream)
- 1/2 tspn or more chilli powder
- 1/2 tspn garam masala
- Soak all of the lentils (urad, rajma and channa dal) in water for 6 hours, or preferably overnight. Wash four times, changing the water each time. Chop the garlic, ginger and green chillies finely.
- Boil all of the lentils in pressure cooker(about 6-7 whistles) or in the open pot(for about 1 hour or till tender) with the ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt, and simmer until lentils are well cooked. Drain off excess water and mash the lentils lightly with the back of a ladle.
- To make the tadka, heat the ghee or oil in a heavy pan until hot, and add the cumin seeds, and stir until they crackle. Fry the chopped onions. Add the garlic and fry until beginning to colour. Add the asafoetida powder and tomato puree and stir for a minute. Add to the cooked dal, mixing well. Bring the dal to the boil again, adding the chilli powder, butter and cream. Simmer gently for about 8 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and adjust seasonings.
Electric Cooker US: http://amzn.to/2eN4ADg Code: QC8DIM89, 30% discounted,
Start Date：07/09/2017 09:00 BST
End Date：31/10/2017 23:59 BST
Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=superveggiedelight
Kitchen products at http://amzn.to/2wLsndV
More recipes at //www.bhavnaskitchen.com
Topics @ http://www.desiviva.com
Download Bhavna’s Kitchen apps for Android, iPhone and iPad