Sev is the basic ingredient in many recipes and it is very easy to make if you have Sev Maker. With sev maker, many other recipes can be prepared using different disks that come with it.
Sev is a popular Indian snack food consisting of small pieces of crunchy noodles made from chickpea flour paste, which are seasoned with turmeric, cayenne, and ajwain before being deep-fried in oil. These noodles vary in thickness. Ready-to-eat varieties of Sev, including flavoured Sev, are available in Indian stores.
Sev is eaten as a standalone snack as well as a topping on dishes like Bhelpuri and Sevpuri. Sev can be made at home and stored for weeks in airtight containers.
The snack is popular in Madhya Pradesh, especially in the cities of Indore , Ujjain and Ratlam, where many snack foods consist of sev as a main ingredient. In Madhya Pradesh, sev is used as a side ingredient in almost every chaat snack food, especially ratlami sev, which is made from cloves and chickpea flour. Many varieties of sev are sold commercially, such as long (clove) sev, tomato Sev, palak sev, plain sev, and bhujia.
Popular varieties of sev mixed with nuts, lentils and pulses are commonly sold as ‘Bombay mix’.
Below is the step by step video instructions for making Besan sev.
- 1 1/4 cups besan bengal gram flour
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- salt to taste
- oil for greasing
- oil for deep-frying
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl with approx. ¼ cup of water, mix well and knead into a soft dough. Keep aside.
- Grease the sev "press" mould with little oil, transfer the dough into it, press it properly and cover it with the lid.
- Press out thin strands of the sev into the hot oil, a few at a time and deep-fry on a slow flame till it turns very light brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat step 3 to deep-fry the remaining sev in 3 more batches.
- Keep aside to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sev into a deep bowl and break into pieces using your fingers.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.