Aam achar is prepared differently in many regions of India. This pickle is must with Indian meal called “Thali”. Variety of pickles are made from mango. Hot, sweet, and sour tasty pickles are made during mango season. In my family, we prepare all kinds of mango pickles.
Preparing pickle masala is super quick and easy. Just mix few spices like red chili powder, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder, Asafoetida and salt. Oil is then added. You can store the pickle masala for few months and keep using for even instant pickles of carrot, mango, green apple, olives and more.
Aam Ka Achaar is simple recipe of a spicy raw mango pickle made from homemade pickle masala.
There are countless versions of mango pickle in India with each region having its own host of recipes. In my kitchen, all kinds of instant pickles are popular including mango even. When Mango is not in season, I use green apple to prepare instant pickle.
- Mango (large) - 1 no
- Red chilly powder -1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - Haldi 1/2 tsp
- Ground Fenugreek seeds (Methi, Uluva) - 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida (Hingh, Kayam) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 cup
- Olive oil/cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- 2-3 Dry Red whole chili
- Dry dates (Kharek) can be added too
- Cut the mango into small dices and remove the pit.
- Add salt and turmeric, ground fenugreek seeds, red chilly powder, asafoetida and mix it well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add whole chili.
- Allow it to cool.
- When the oil becomes room temperature, mix it with the masala mixture.
- Now add mango pieces to pikle masala and mix well.
- Keep one day without adding more oil.
- Next day add more oil if you want or otherwise keep pickle into the refrigerator to keep it longer.
- Store pickle in air tight container
- Serve with rice and curd.