This recipe is basically aloo masala filled in Dosa. There are several kinds of Dosa stuffing can be prepared. Potato(Aloo) masala is very populare stuffing but I sometimes, use left over pav bhaji curry, chhole or even any kind of signature stuffing can be prepared. I also prepare spring dosa with crushed vegetables such as cabbage, carrot, cauliflower. So basically, you can come up with your own ideas for preparing different kind of stuffings. And this aloo masala can be eaten with roti or puris as well.
- 4 nos - Potato , medium sized boiled and mashed
- 1 to 2 - Onion , medium sized long thinly sliced
- 12 nos - Small green chilies , not to be chopped. Just split them at the center
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard
- 1 tsp - Urad dal (black gram)
- 1 1/4 tsp - Chana dal (yellow split peas)
- 10 nos - Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp - Coriander leaves or Cilantro
- 1 tbsp - Ghee
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- Cut the potatoes each into 2 pieces with the skin intact and cook them in a cooker until one whistle. Then peel the skin of the potato and smash or squeeze them coarsely by hand and set aside.
- Heat oil in a khadhai or a pan amd add mustard. When the mustard starts popping or bursting add urad dal and chana dal. Keep stirring for a minute and then add onion, curry leaves, green chilies and turmeric. Saute for around 10 minutes. Add Salt and 1/2 cup water and stir well. Add the mashed potato, coriander leaves, ghee and mix well. Now take the pan of the heat and the potato subji is done.
More stuffing recipes
Recipe: Spring Dosa Stuffing
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabbage
- 2 med size carrots cut into juliennes
- 2 med size onion finely chopped
- 1 capsicum cut into juliennes
- 1/2 cup crushed Cauliflower
- 1 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spring onion greens, Dhaniya(Coriander leaves can be used
- 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- I usually throw all veggies in food processor and blend on slow speed and you will get nice, evenly chopped veggies.
- Heat oil in a pan, add green chillies and onion and fry till translucent
- Add all the vegetables,salt and fry for 2-3 minutes(should be crunchy)
- Then add lime juice, chaat masala and fry for another 2 minutes
- Lastly add spring onion greens and ready to stuff in your Dosa. I use this same stuffing to make toaster sandwich as well.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Indian (Southern)