Not to be confused with evaporated milk or powdered milk. Condensed milk is cow’s milk from which water has been removed. It is most often found in the form of sweetened condensed milk (SCM), with sugar added, and the two terms “condensed milk” and “sweetened condensed milk” are often used synonymously today. Sweetened condensed milk is a very thick, sweet product which when canned can last for years without refrigeration if unopened. Condensed milk is used in numerous dessert dishes in many countries.
A related product is evaporated milk, which has undergone a more complex process and which is not sweetened. Evaporated milk is known in some countries as unsweetened condensed milk.
Condensed Milk makes it lot more easier to prepare many delicious desserts, Sweetened condensed milk is quite possibly the most versatile dessert ingredient out there! So let’s learn few ways to prepare at home if you can’t find condensed milk or if you prefer homemade one.
There are few ways to make Condensed milk at home. I have been following the instant one since it is so quick and easy! But when it is the matter of authentic taste, I spend some time and prepare the traditional way. Either way you make, you will find it so much easier to make and enjoy anytime!
- 65 gms Milk powder - 1/2 cup
- 25 gms Butter - 1.5 tbsp
- Boiled Milk or water - 1/4 cup
- 25 gms Powdered/Granulated or Icing Sugar - 3 tbsp
- Microwave milk/water for 30sec. Or warm up on the stove till you see the bubbles on the side. In a grinder or a mixing bowl, add milk powder, icing sugar, butter and boiled milk/water.
- Ground into smooth paste. Let it cool down and store it into airtight container.
It stays fresh upto 4-5 days in refrigerator, if properly handled. Or freeze for longer use.
Use clean spoon every time.
You can use Nestle or Amul milk powder.
The tendency of condensed milk is thick and rich. Condensed milk thickens once it cool downs. So add little hot water to adjust consistency.
You can also reduce the sugar quantity as per your taste.
Now, if you want to make from milk, here is the way to prepare. It requires time and close attention to prepare it properly.
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar - greatly reduced from the recipes I found online (or use brown sugar / honey)
- 1 tablespoon butter (Optional - to thicken the milk)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring the milk and the sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently for about two hours (yeah, I know..) until the volume is reduced by half. The mixture should be barely simmering and never bubbling at any point. Stir every 15 minutes or so to keep the milk from forming the "skin" on top. I forgot to stir and the milk burnt slightly and turn yellowish instead of remaining white.
- After 2 hours, stir in butter.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the milk cool. The mixture will thicken further after it has cooled.
When refrigerated, homemade sweetened condensed milk has thicker consistency than the commercial one. You can add a few drops of water and whisk it lightly to get a thinner mixture.