Manchurian is the fusion dish of Indian and Chinese cuisine. Into-chinese fusion is really popular on the streets of India.
Vegetable manchurian is made with crunchy vegetable such as cabbage and carrot. I really love these Manchurians just becuase of it’s crunch and great flavors. And when these Manchurians are added to the spicy sauce, it gets even more like a heaven…
Manchurian can be made with gravy or dry. If you wish to serve as an appetizer, go with dry version and for the main course, make with gravy and serve with Fried Rice or Noodles or sometimes I Make Combo of Rice + Noodles.
Below is the video for fried Manchurian. Recipe remains the same for baked or the fried one.
To prepare the Manchurian Balls, usually cabbage carrot and some other crunchy veggies like Bell Pepper (Capsicum), onion can be used as well.
To prepare the Balls you will need:
2 cups Shredded Carrot
2 cups Shredded Cabbage
(Alternatively, you can just crush veggies into food processor- faster)
2 Chopped Green Chilis if desired
2 tbsp Corn Starch
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil for frying the Manchurians
My new version of Manchurian balls include Bell pepper, spring onion, and finely chopped Ginger Garlic as well but its up to you.
To prepare the Sauce you will need:
3-4 Crushed Garlic Flakes
1 tsp Crushed ginger Flakes
1 tsp crushed peanut (optional but gives very nice nuttier taste)
1 tbsp Corn Starch or Flour or as needed to make thick gravy
1 tbsp Soya Sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp chili Sauce or as per your taste
Salt to taste
1 tsp Pepper Powder
A pinch of roasted cumin powder – optional
2 tbsp oil
Spring onion or chives or cilantro or chopped green chili.
My new version of sauce includes some crushed vegetables in gravy if you are looking for restaurant style gravy.
- 2 cups Grated Cabbage
- 2 cups Grated Carrots
- 1 Chopped Spring Onion
- 2 Chopped Green Chilies
- 3-4 Crushed Garlic Flakes
- 1 tsp Crushed ginger Flakes
- 1 tsp crushed peanut (optional but gives very nice nuttier test)
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch or Flour or as needed to get good binding
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp chili Sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- A pinch of ajinomoto
- A pinch of roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- For garnishing:
- Spring onion or chives or cilantro or chopped green chili.
- Mix grated cabbage and carrots and squeeze the water out from them.
- Now in a bowl take the squeezed cabbage and carrots and mix 1 tbsp. corn starch and add few chopped chilies and little salt to it.
- Make small balls (like koftas) of the mixture .
- Heat the oil in a kadhai / wok and deep fry the balls till golden brown, drain and keep aside.
- Now in a separate pan heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Sauté garlic, green chilies, crushed peanut and spring onions.
- Add water, salt, pepper powder, ajinomoto, cumin powder, sugar and soya sauce, tomato ketchup, chili Sauce. Bring it to a boil.
- Mix 1 tbsp corn four with half of a cup of cold water and stir into it. Gently add the fried balls to the gravy.
- Cook the vegetable manchurian for 3-4 minutes and serve hot garnish with chopped coriander.