Vada pav (Marathi: वडा पाव), sometimes spelled Wada Pav or Vada Pav or Wada Pao, is a vegetarian fast food dish native to the Indian state of Maharashtra. The dish is a simple creation involving a deep fried potato patty with some coriander and spices, served in a bread roll (pav) with condiments.
Usually people eat it with chatni and onions It originated as cheap street food in Mumbai, but is now offered in stalls and restaurants throughout India.
During my trip to India, I got to shoot the video I am sharing below.
Boiled mashed potatoes are spiced, commonly with chillies, garlic, asafoetida, turmeric, mustard seeds and garlic, but the spices may vary. The mass is then coated in gram flour batter and deep fried. The resultant fritter is served in a bread bun, accompanied by one or more chutneys and fried green chilly.
First step is to make Bateta Vada or Bonda also known as.
Since I have some Vada Pav lovers in my family, I try to prepare healthier way by adding quinoa in potato stuffing and instead of frying the vadas, I bake them.
- 8 ladi pavs small squares of white bread
- 1 recipe dry garlic chutney
- 1 1/2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated garlic lehsun
- 2 tsp roughly chopped ginger adrak
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai / sarson
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 6 to 8 curry leaves kadi patta
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup besan bengal gram flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Pound the green chillies, ginger and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the pounded mixture and sauté again for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Remove from the fire and cool.
- Divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into rounds.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a batter using approximately 1/3 cup of water.
- Dip each round of the vada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well.
- Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slice each pav into half and spread some dry garlic chutney inside.
- Place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.
- Laddi pavs are small square shaped white bread rolls which are available at local bakeries.
- You can also use bread roll or slices if the pav is not available.