I get requests for so many egg free dessert recipes and Cannoli was the most requested. For me, converting this recipe to egg free was very easy and I was able achieve perfect result in very first attempt. Usually, some recipes take few efforts to get it right but I really enjoyed making this recipe. The shells are pretty simple to make, and taste so much better than the ready-made shells you buy in the Italian markets. I use 100% organic grape juice instead of Marsala wine and also without egg.
%MINIFYHTML1bce51d6595a52c401bfef28eead9ef813%Egg Free Cannoli%MINIFYHTML1bce51d6595a52c401bfef28eead9ef814%
Prep Time20 minsCook Time15 minsTotal Time35 minsServings: 20IngredientsFOR CANNOLI SHELLS
- All purpose flour 2 Cup (32 tbs)
- Sugar 1 Tablespoon
- Unsweetened baking cocoa 1 Tablespoon
- Ground cinnamon 1/4 Teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 Teaspoon
- Vegetable oil/Olive oil 3 Tablespoon
- White wine vinegar 1 Teaspoon
- Grape juice/Water 1/2 Cup (8 tbs)
- Oil 1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)FOR CREAM FILLING
- Mascarpone cheese/Cream cheese 8 Ounce
- Powdered sugar 2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)
- Heavy whipping cream 2 Cup (32 tbs)
- Orange extract 2 Drop (Optional)
- Orange zest 1 TablespoonFOR PEANUT BUTTER NUTELLA FILLING
- Peanut butter 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- Nutella 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- Powdered sugar%MINIFYHTML1bce51d6595a52c401bfef28eead9ef815%InstructionsMAKING
- In a large bowl, add in flour, salt, cinnamon powder and cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Add in the oil, water and white wine vinegar; mix well with hands.
- Drizzle grape juice little at a time and make dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, make small balls from the dough and roll to make a sheet as shown in the video.
- Wrap around the cannoli mold and seal the edges with water. Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry until crispy.
- Take out the cannoli shells over a kitchen towel and let it cool, after that transfer to a cooling wrack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream filling – using a stand mixer, cream together mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar.
- Pour in the heavy whipping cream and mix until it forms stiff peak.
- For the peanut butter nutella filling – in a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients using a spoon.FINALIZING
- Fill the shells with cream filling or peanut butter nutella filling and garnish with some mini chocolate chips.SERVING
- 13. Serve as dessert.Recipe Notes
Shells can be made ahead of time. They stay great for up to a week in air tight container. I fill them the day I want to serve.