This vegan vegetarian fondant is perfect for cupcakes and small cakes.
Homemade Fondant I
- Water 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- Granulated sugar 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- Vegetable shortening 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- Salt 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
- Confectioners sugar 4 Cup (64 tbs)
- Vanilla extract 2 Teaspoon
- Food color 4 Drop (as needed) (Optional)
- Corn starch or Confectioner sugar
- 1. Place a saucepan on high flame and pour water in it. Add sugar and cook until the mixture gets a syrup consistency (like honey, corn syrup or maple syrup) or the temperature reaches 112-115 degree C/ 234-240 degree F when measured with candy thermometer.
- 2. Turn off the flame, place the pan on ice cold water and let the syrup cool.
- 3. In a bowl transfer the syrup, add vegetable shortening and salt (if using). Mix well.
- 4. Add sugar, one cup at a time and beat after each addition. Beat in vanilla . Knead well. Divide the dough and add food color. Knead again.
- 5. Roll dough into 1/8-1/4-inch thin sheet and cut into shapes.
- 6. Decorate cupcakes with fondant and serve.
- Instead of sugar syrup you can use 1 cup of corn syrup.
- To store fondant, cover it with plastic wrap and place in ziplock bag. You can keep it at room temperature for many days.
- If it breaks while working add more shortening and knead well.