Make this guilt free wheat naan in your home kitchen. Naan is a warm flatbread made of wheat flour. This naan recipe is one you will want to serve with your Indian or east Asian dishes. Naans are prepared in Tandoor but here I will show you how you can make even on stove top. If you want restaurant style, you can apply little water with your hand on naan before baking.
Recipe: Wheat Naan
- 2½ cups Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour/Maida (Optional. If you want to omit Maida simply increase the amount of Wheat flour used to 3 cups)
- ¼ cup warm Milk
- ¾ – 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 sachet Yeast
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1-1½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Warm water for kneading
- **Other Ingredients:
- Choice of ingredients for topping (I use Nigella seeds, Sesame Seeds & finely chopped Coriander Leaves)
- Wheat flour/All purpose flour for dusting while rolling the Naan
- **For the Dough:
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and keep aside for 10 minutes. Soon the yeast will start to react and will become all bubbly and frothy.
- Next, sift wheat flour and all purpose flour along with sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a small well in the centre and slowly add yogurt, oil and yeast dissolved milk. Add little warm water if needed and kneading till you get soft pliable dough.
- Cover this dough with a wet cheese cloth or cling film/plastic wrap and keep it in a warm place for 1½ to 2 hours till the dough rises and doubles its original quantity.
- Punch down this raised dough to release air and divide it into equal sized lemon sized balls.
- **For Cooking the Naan:
- Heat tawa/griddle at medium flame. Roll this dough ball in little wheat flour and flatten it on flat surface. With the help of rolling pin, roll it into a ¼ inch thick oval shaped roti. Sprinkle little sesame seeds, nigella seeds and coriander leaves or any topping of your choice and gently press them using rolling pin.
- Flip the naan and sprinkle little water and gently place it on the heated iron tawa. Remember to put the water side down.
- When you see bubbles forming on the surface of naan in few seconds time, increase the heat to high and lift the tawa and turn it down so that the surface of naan is directly exposed to the flame. While keeping the flame on high, move the tawa so that naan is cooked evenly and dark spots starts to appear.
- Well, Whole Wheat Naan is ready to serve. Apply butter or ghee and serve hot with any Curry of your choice.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)