Delicious and flavorful Gujarati style recipe of bhindi stuffed with spice powders. Bharwa Bhindi is a popular Indian side dish in which Bhindi (Okra) are stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala filling.
For better flavor, Besan (Chickpea flour) can be dry roasted. Traditionally, pan fried stuffed okra can be cooked easily in an air fryer in under 10 minutes at 300F. Hooray! No stirring required and evenly cooked okra is ready in no time….air fried okra retain their nice green color as well.
Okra is low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Riboflavin, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium and Manganese. And so Okra is popular in many diets like, low carb, Keto, and more.
Below is the video instruction to make Bharwan Bhindi in an air fryer.
- Jowar flour 4 Tablespoon
- Gram flour 3 Tablespoon
- Corn flour 1 Tablespoon
- (Only one kind of flour can be used if not all available)
- Peanuts 2 Tablespoon , crushed
- Sesame seeds 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Cumin powder 1 Teaspoon
- Salt To Taste
- Garlic powder 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 1/4 Teaspoon
- Oil 4 Tablespoon , divided (2 tablespoons for the stuffing and 2 tablespoons for frying)
- Ladys finger 10 Medium
- 1. Take the okras and cut off the edges and slit them lengthwise without cutting them through. Set aside.
- 2. Take a bowl and mix the jowar flour, gram flour and corn flour together.
- 3. To this mixture add the crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, cumin powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder and mix them well.
- 4. Add oil and continue to mix till the desired stuffing consistency is reached.
- 5. Take the slit okra pieces and fill in the stuffing using your hands.
- 6. Preheat a frying pan with oil, and place the stuffed bhindis one by one into the pan. Let them cook well on a medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir gently or toss after every 5 minutes.
- 7. Serve warm with roti or paratha.