Cachew puri is basically butterless, flourless cookie. It is super easy and quick to make these cookies and I really fell in love with almond cookie(made same as cashew cookie – just replace cashew with almond(badam) or any other nut such as pistachio. Nuts such as almond, pistachio are healthy nuts and by far, this is the perfect way I have found to have kids nuts. For kids, you can make little smaller puris and they will sure love different shape puris. I have never tried with peanut yet but it might work as well.
- 1 cup - kaju powder (cashew nut) - Make powder of raw cachew - see note below
- ½ cup - powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp - cardamom powder
- few strands - saffron - kesar
- 2 tbsp - milk or as needed - fat free milk can be used or for vegan option , use soy milk
- Slivered almond p & pistachio to garnish - optional
- Prehea oven at 350F.
- Add saffron(kesar)to the warm milk. Keep aside.
- Mix kaju powder, powdered sugar, cardamom powder in a medium bowl.
- Prepare semi soft dough with the help of saffron milk. Add tbsp at a time till you get nice dough consistancy
- Prepare about 10 small balls of 1 tbsp or 20-25 gms each.
- Flatten each ball with hand or roll each ball about 2" diameter, thickness of puri should be about 1/4 inch only.
- If you wish, you can make these puris with different shapes and make some design even on top.
- Repeat with the remaining balls.
- (Or you can roll other way, take dough and make big ball and roll 1/4 inch thick and then take round cookie cutter to cut. This way, you will get all even and same size puris.)
- or for fancy edge, use cookie cutter like below. Even different shapes such as heart or star can be used:
- Now, cover baking tray with foil. Place puris on baking tray.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes or till it changes color slighly to nice golden.
- Remove and let it cool down.
Do not use cashews right from referigerator. I keep my nuts in fridge so when I want to make this puri, I take out cashews day before from refrigerator and keep at room temperature. This will help to make powder good.
If you don't have oven, bake them on tava on very low flame.
Below is the badam and pista puri – Almond & pistachio cookies