These Mango Bars are a riff on lemon bars, with a custardy topping that is packed with fresh mango – and lots of mango flavor.
A brief feature on our spotlight ingredients:
Mango – A favourite of mine since childhood. High in Vitamin C and A, this mega sweet summer-time fruit will help keep your immune system strong and your vision healthy.
Coconut – Not long ago, coconut was shunned for being extremely high in saturated fat. Even when I was a child some decade and a half ago, I was advised to minimally consume coconut products. Turns out the saturated fat in coconut is not at all like the saturated fat in butter. Coconut contains medium-chain triglycerides, which is a form of fat that is easier for the body to break down. Instead of being deposited into long term fatty storage, is transformed into fuel by the liver. Therefore, potentially helping you to burn calories! So, eat up on coconut, the dried version used here has all the benefits of coconut oil plus the fibre from the meat!
Let’s watch the step by step video of making Mango squares.
Now, you can easily customize this recipe to fit your diet such as vegan and gluten free.
Here is one of my favorite vegan, gluten free crust for preparing many desserts.
½ cup any of your favorite nuts, toasted* – almond, walnut or macadomia
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted**
A dash of cinnamon (optional)
7 Medjool dates
Making of Crust:
In a food processor fitted with an S-blade, chop toasted macadamia nuts, toasted shredded coconut, and cinnamon until a relatively fine crumb is achieved.
Add pitted Medjool dates and process until finely chopped and well combined. Test consistency by pressing mixture between fingers; if it holds it’s shape, it’s done!
Press crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- For the crust
- Graham cracker crumbs 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- Sugar 2 Tablespoon
- Butter/Margarine 1/4 Cup (4 tbs)
- For the filling
- Mango Pulp 3/4 cup
- Agar powder 1 1/2 Tablespoon (Gelatin Substitute)
- Corn starch 1 Tablespoon + 1/4 cup Coconut milk , dissolved together.
- Fresh lemon or orange juice 1/4 Cup (5.33 tbs)
- Granulated sugar 1/4 Cup (8 tbs)
- Milk/Cream 1/3 Cup (2 tbs), For Vegan Coconut milk can be used
- Powdered sugar To Taste (For Garnish) (Optional)
- In a big bowl add in the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix it with your hand.
- Take a baking tray lined with parchment paper, add the crust mixture to it. Spread it evenly.
- There are two ways to use this crust, either bake it at 350 degrees F for 8-10 min (till they turn golden brown), or compact the crust really well using ant too (glass tumbler used here) and refrigerate for 30 minutes and the crust would settle down.
- For the filling, first mix the corn starch into the milk, mix it well.
- In another pan, Mix the milk and agar powder, mix it well and bring it to a boil. Cook on medium to low heat for 2-3 min till it thickens (happens quickly – do not leave unattended).
- When the milk is thick add the sugar and cook till sugar dissolves (1-2 min).
- To this add the starch and milk mix, with mango puree.
- Once done, before it settles, pour it over the crust. Let the mixture cool down then refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or till the lemon mixture sets.
- Lift the whole recipe out using parchment paper, dust with powdered sugar, cut and serve!