I love to make mixed vegetable curries with freshly available seasonal vegetables. Don’t limit yourself using vegetables for this recipe. Add/omit vegetables as per your preference and make exotic curry.
Mixied Vegetable Curry
- Sweet potato or Potato diced – 1 medium sized
- Cauliflower cut into florets – 1/4 medium sized
- Purple yam or Carrot cut into slightly thick rounds – 1
- snap peas whole and Green Peas – 11/2 cup
- Chopped Tomato – 2-3 medium sized
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1/12 tbsp ginger , garlic and green chili paste(eventhough I add red chilli powder, I add some green chilies)
- Tomato paste – 2 tbsp-optional
- Red Chilly POwder – 1 tsp
- Coriander POwder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin POwder – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp-optional
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp ground peanut
- 1-2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Cashew raisins can be added as well
- Oil – 2-3tbsp (I also add little ghee)or as needed
- Garam masala to taste
- Salt to taste
Take oil in a pan and shallow fry sweet potato or potatoes and yam (or carrot) one after another and keep them aside. This step is optional. I usually boil them.
Add mustard seeds to the remaining oil,and allow it to splutter.
Also add cumin seeds,fennel seeds and and fry it for a while.
Stir in chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and cumin powder and immediately add tomato paste,chopped tomatoes,green peas,salt,pepper and chopped carrots. Add water as needed. Stir it, cover and cook till tomatoes are well blended and oil starts to seperate.
Add ginger, garlic and green chilli pastes.
Add eggplant and cauliflower. Cover again and allow it to cook till all the vegetables are tender.
Add sesame seeds, ground peanut, coconut.
Mix in the fried/boiled veggies and cook for another 2-3 mts,adding water if needed.Switch off the heat and serve.