Impress your guests with this favorite snack food of Northern India! This version of Tokri chaat is typical to Punjab- a state in the northern part of India. Potato Basket Chaat is a recipe that everyone is sure to love. Tokri Chaat or Katori Chaat is a popular ‘chaat’ or street food of India. It is made with very attractive and delicious, crispy potato baskets, that can be filled with a variety of filling combinations. I have tried to make it healthy as well as tasty, but you can be more creative, and add or minus the ingredients of the filling, as per your liking. Here I have shared simple filling.
Let’s learn to make Tokri or Katori (Basket). Below is the video for step by step instructions of how to make Potato Basket.
Now, once you have baskets ready, you can go crazy for stuffing. You can use your favorite stuffing. For Indian street food kind stuffing, I use some boiled chole, sprouted mung bean, besan sev and some chutneys.
- Potatoes 4 Large peeled
- Black pepper 2 Teaspoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon to taste
- Cornstarch 2 Tablespoon
- Cooking spray 2 Tablespoon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the potato basket: In a bowl, place a small holed shredder and shred about 3 potatoes. Once done, take the big holed shredder and shred the last potato into the same bowl.
- Using both squeeze out excess water from the shredded potatoes and remove into another bowl.
- In the above squeezed potato mixture add black pepper, salt, corn starch and mix until well combined.
- To make the baskets, take a 12 cup, cup-cake tray and grease the cups with some cooking oil. Using a tablespoon, spoon the shredded potato mixture into the greased cups.
- Once done, using two fingers, make a well in the center and spread it towards the edges to make the shape of a cup. Bake this in the preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- After 30 minutes, remove the tray and using a fork gently remove the potato baskets and set them on a plate.
- Chickpeas 1/2 Cup 8 tbs , boiled
- Sprouted green gram 1/2 Cup 8 tbs , boiled
- Onion 1/2 Cup 8 tbs , finely chopped
- Red bell pepper 1/2 Cup 8 tbs , finely chopped
- Green bell pepper 1/2 Cup 8 tbs
- Date tamarind chutney 1/4 Cup 4 tbs
- Coriander mint chutney 1/4 Cup 4 tbs
- Sev 1/4 Cup 4 tbs
- For the stuffing: Take the baked potato baskets one at a time and stuff it with 1/2 teaspoon each of the following ingredients of chick peas, sprouted green gram, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, date tamarind chutney and coriander mint chutney.
- Serve these stuffed potato baskets garnished with sev.