Once a Gujarati staple, steamed and low cal dhoklas are universally popular these days! They make a particularly wholesome and light breakfast.
You might have tried a variety of dhokla with various flours, flavours and tempering, but have you ever tried palak Dhokla? A batter of lentil is fortified with a couple of tasty greens and cooked into yummy dhoklas that have a tempting aroma and nice flavour!
Palak puree can be added to your favorite Dhokla recipe whether you want to prepare traditional or instant dhokla recipe. But do try this recipe with just lentil like Tuvar or moong dal. Or go for sprouted moong bean for your next adventure to add colour and make them more nourishing..
Below is the playlist for all khaman dhokla recipe videos to get the idea to add spinach puree. Be sure to adjust water.
The benefits of spinach are endless; it’s packed with nutrients that do everything from keeping your hair shiny to protecting you from diabetes and cancer. So I try to include spinach in my weekly recipes.
Yogurt can be left out from this recipe for vegan version.
- 1 cup Lentil of your choice I prefer to use Tuvar or Chana or moong dal
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/2 cup Curd Plain Yogurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Ginger-1/2inch piece
- Green chillies-2-3
- Salt- to taste
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Lemon juice-1tbsp
- Oil- for brushing
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- White sesame seeds-2tsp
- Split green chillies-2 use only if you are a spice lover
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
- Wash and soak lentils for atleast 5-6hours. After soaking time rinse again and drain thoroughly.
- Combine soaked and drained dal with ginger, spinach, chillies, curd, oil and grind to a semi coarse paste (add a little water at a time while blending)
- Meanwhile heat little water in a large pan.
- Once the batter is ready, add salt, baking soda, lemon juice mix well and set aside for 5-10 minutes
- Grease the 7 or 8” vessel or cake pan, pour the batter and place the pan in the pan- steam cook for 12-15 minutes /until the tooth pick inserted comes out clear.
- Heat oil in a small pan add mustard seeds as it crackle, add sesame seeds saute for few seconds.
- Add the green chillies. curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for few more seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly on top.