A quick and easy version of the traditional khaman. Khaman is very popular Gujarati delicacy. Khaman is healthy because it is steamed gluten free recipe. This Khaman is also known as Nylon Khaman.
Khaman is a great snacks as it provides protein, fiber and many other nutrition. The best thing is that there is no compromise for the ingredients as traditional recipe is made from whole Chana Dal and the instant recipe is made from Chana Dal Flour or Besan.
- 1 cup Besan (chickpea flour or bengal gram flour)
- 11/2 - 2 tbsp rawa (Semolina or sooji)-More rawa can be added if you like crumbly texture of Khaman.)
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid (Nimbu ke Phool)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar - can be reduced as per your taste
- 1 teaspoon green chilli-ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Eno's fruit salt
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- About 1 to 11/4 cup water or as needed. Make cake consistancy batter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
- 2 green chillies , chopped
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or coriander leaves (Dhaniya)
- Shredded coconut (Optional)
Mix together all the ingredients for the batter except the fruit salt using enough water to make a easy pour consistancy(Not too thick or thin) batter.
Add in the fruit salt, sprinkle a little water over the fruit salt and mix well.
When the mixture rises, pour it into a greased thali and steam for about 15 minutes.
For the tempering, heat the oil in a small katori and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeeds, green chillies and asafoetida. When the mustard seeds crackle, and pour this over the steamed dhoklas.
Garnish with coconut and finely choped cilantro.
Cut into pieces and serve with green chutney.
You can use 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or 2-3 tbsp dahi(yogurt) instead of the citric acid crystals.
Keep the steamer hot and add the fruit salt into the batter.