There are mangoes everywhere so why not use in Mitahi and enjoy. Kalakand is a very popular Indian dessert made with Fresh Paneer, Condensed milk and garnished with nuts. Kalakand burfi flavor can be enhanced by adding flavors like mango, and other fruit purees.
I love to prepare this sweet during Navratri for the Prasad as it is easy to make. When mangoes are in season, I freeze mango puree to use through the year.
- Mango puree 2 Cup (32 tbs)
- Shredded paneer 2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)
- Khoya 1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded
- Condensed milk 200 Gram (1/2 can)
- Nuts 1/4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely (almonds, pistachio)
- Milk 2 Tablespoon (Optional)
- Saffron thread 1 Pinch (Optional)
- GETTING READY
- 1.Grease a baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- 2.In a bowl add milk and saffron and microwave for few seconds. Set aside (step is optional only if using saffron).
- 3.In a pan heat the mango pulp, then add the shredded paneer, stir well and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the khoya and continue to stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 4.Pour the condensed milk and stir well again till incorporated and cook till it thickens a little and begins to leave the sides of the pan (if using saffron, then pour the milk saffron mixture at this point and stir well and cook).
- 5.Transfer it into the greased baking dish and let it set completely. Using a knife score it into squares and slice them.
- 6.Serve the barfi cold and as dessert or pack it as gift.